The McLaren Vale and Fleurieu Visitor Information Centre Retail Offering
City of Onkaparinga
The McLaren Vale and Fleurieu Visitor Information Centre (the Centre), strives to set a benchmark for visitor information centres. Through their business plan they respond to changing visitor expectations, the evolving local tourism industry and making adjustments to the business model to improve their centres’ visitor experience.
The Centres’ vision is to be an ever-changing place of discovery that reflects the unique region, fosters a connection to and appreciation for the region, and encourages visitors to explore.
The Centre acts as a shopfront for many local boutique businesses, with products promoted and sold through our café, gallery and cellar door spaces, as well as online through their booking service.
- 200+ businesses were promoted
- The cellar door was operated by a collective of local small-batch wine makers
- Six markets were held (Vale Markets), attracting 50 local stallholders and 2500-4500 visitors to each market with a total of 10,000+ visitors
- Nine gallery exhibitions, supporting the local arts community, were held.
Some of the local specialties on offer include roasted coffee, hand creams, lavender products, micro-brewed beer, olives, local produce and hand-crafted wares.
As a result of visitor feedback, a desire to create a more visually appealing centre was identified and the Centre was remodelled, the service desk moved and the retail section expanded. They also introduced a local product of the month display area and launched a loyalty program for their repeat visitors which is free to join and members can access discounts and special offers.
Additional retail lines and display spaces have been added which has enabled additional local gifts, souvenirs or mementos to be purchased.
- 80% local product in the retail space injected $67,500 directly into the local economy
- Additional 10sqm of retail floor space was added
- Allowed 12 new retail lines into the Centre due to the expansion
Re-modelling has allowed for a more welcoming experience (staff and volunteers move around the centre floor), less congestion and improved flow; overall, they have enhanced their visitors’ experience.
Visit their website to find out more about the Centre and what they have to offer, or better yet go visit them at 796 Main Road, McLaren Vale 5171.