Small Business Friendly Council
Small business owners and operators create local employment, provide essential goods and services and help create attractive, liveable communities.
The right mix of small businesses can create a sense of vibrancy and attract people to live, work and visit.
Councils can have a significant influence over how attractive their area is for businesses to set up, and established enterprises to grow. They also play a key role in the lifecycle of a small business.
Most of the interactions business owners have with government are at a local level. To help build stronger, more productive relationships between small business and Council, the Office of the Small Business Commissioner (OSBC) has developed the Small Business Friendly Council (SBFC) Initiative.
Small Business Friendly Council Brochure (link to brochure)
Is your Council Small Business Friendly?
To participate in the SBFC Initiative, Councils are asked to sign a SBFC Charter Agreement which sets out five required initiatives that Council agrees to meet, as well as additional initiatives designed to foster and support small business in their area.
The five required initiatives are:
- Implementing activities to improve the operating environment for small business within Council’s area.
- Establishing a business advisory group (if one does not already exist) to assist Council’s understanding of small business in its area;
- Implementing a procurement policy which recognises and supports local small businesses wherever possible.
- Paying undisputed invoices from small businesses within 30 days.
- Implementing a timely and cost effective dispute resolution process to manage disputes.
Councils are then required to identify and implement three additional initiatives per year to support local small business. These may include initiatives already being implemented.
Below is a list of the Councils who have committed to the SBFC Initiative. Connect with your local council to find out more.
Reporting Requirements for Participating Councils
Participating Councils are required to report on their Initiatives on an annual basis. Please click here to complete your report.
Want to know more?
The Office of the Small Business Commissioner can answer any questions about the Initative.
Phone: 08 8303 2026