Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Day (MSME Day) on Monday 27 June 2022.
An initiative of the United Nations General Assembly, MSME is a day to acknowledge the important and vital contribution by more than 2.3 million small and family businesses in Australia in our economy, society and local communities.
Did you know*?
- small businesses employ over 5 million people, that's 42% of Australia's private sector workforce.
- small businesses employs 63% or almost 288,000 of Australia's apprentices and trainees.
- top five industries with the highest percentage of people employed by small businesses
- agriculture, forestry and fishing - 82%
- rental, hiring and real estate - 75%
- construction - 66%
- other services - 66%
- accommodation and food services - 48%.
- small businesses contribute $483 billion to the economy, that's roughly 33%!
- construction is our largest business sector, employing 793,000 people.
- small business employs 42% of Australia's private sector workforce.
- small businesses account for 97% of all Australian businesses.
*statistics from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, Australian Industry 2020-2021 and ASBFEO calculations, small businesses defined as those employing 0-19 people.
Click here to visit the United Nations MSME Day webpage.